Saturday, May 30, 2015

Family, kinship and relationships - 안지영 (An Ji Young)

First, we watched a video about modern slavery. I was surprised because I didn’t know there could be slavery in modern days. But still there are lots of exploited children. And evidently, there are exploited children in Korea too. Some people use children’s workforce in salt pond. I was little bit embarrassed because I didn’t know anything about these cases. Just like the man in the video said, we could help the children by not drinking coffee after lunch and by not buying one pair of jeans. I think it is worth doing those things to help the exploited children and to exterminate slavery. 

After we discussed about video, we learn family and kinship. Kinship is the web of social relationships that form an important part of the lives of most humans in most societies. Also kinship refers to relationships between individuals bonded by blood ties and marriage. So from this we could know family means a group of people affiliated by kinship. And then we had second discussion about marriage. The topic was “What are the marriage rules in Korea? And how have they changed?” First, the meaning of marriage has changed. In the old days, the meaning of marriage was workforce but nowadays the meaning of marriage is more likely to stay with loved one. Also in the old days marriage age was very young. For example, our grandmother generation married when they were 17. But today most women marry when they are 30 or even older. And nowadays people think marriage is not necessary thing to do.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I was also surprised that there is modern slavery. Through that video, I got to know that there are many slaves in many countries. And I realized specifically that I can help to end modern slavery by reducing consumption. Like this, first of all, it is important to become truly aware of its existence of modern slavery. So we can act what we have to do.

    ReplyDelete