Friday, May 29, 2015

Week 13 blog - "Social movements" / posted by So Jeong Yeon (연소정)


 

Social movements

 
 
Q. How to combat modern slavery?
 

 
Modern incidence of slavery
Wikimedia commons
 

 
We watched video for discussion. It was about modern slavery. The speaker said that slavery is practiced in many countries and there are businesses based on human slavery accordingly. It is not about the past. This is what happens at present. He said we have to end all human slavery and told how we free today's slaves. He thinks we can help to end modern slavery by reducing our consumption. For example, one way is to reduce the number of buying coffee or watching the movie at the cinema or going shopping.
    
 
Slaves in Africa
Wikimedia commons
 
According to his opinion, the poor become slaves because they need a job. Poverty is one of the causes of modern slavery. I think another cause is the poor legal system. I agreed with the speaker but I want to add something more. I think we can act if we know. First, we have to become truly aware of its existence of modern slavery.




Before watching the video, I didn't know from nothing that there is modern slavery. I thought slavery has been abolished. Through that video, I got to know that there are many slaves in many countries. And I realized specifically that I can help to end modern slavery by reducing consumption. Like this, first of all, it is important to become truly aware of its existence of modern slavery. So we can act what we have to do.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment