Saturday, April 18, 2015

Sociology- Lee Seung Won(이승원)


Color pink is associated with girls, why?

 

 I thought by myself why the color pink is associated with girls today, but I couldn’t think of an answer myself. So I decided to do a research on Google. http://www.livescience.com/22037-pink-girls-blue-boys.html Here I found out that there are some theories answering my question in a sociological aspect, but there were none in a biological aspect. It is because it seemed obvious to the researchers that there couldn’t be an evolution leading girls to like the color pink and boys to like the color blue. I agree with this thought. It is because I think the meaning a color has now is just given by human and the meaning human give to certain object changes all the times and places. (Ex; the crow is a bad sign in Korea, but at the same time it is good news for Japan) So the question why the color pink is associated with girls can be answered by a sociological aspect. At the article, the author explained that the marketers made girls=pink boys=blue strategy because this way people will buy the product and feel that their child is girlish or boyish.

 

2 comments:

  1. I also think this topic is interesting. And I think your research is very similar to mine. I agree with your research that the sentence "pink is associated with girls ." is just a prejudice and business ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your opinion is novel and interesting. Fixed color for gender is made by marketers. This has a point. Also I think fixed color is a bias and prejudice. A girl can like another color. But we think that the girl will like color pink.

    ReplyDelete