Friday, March 20, 2015

Macro Structures(1) - 신명주 Myeong Ju, Shin

MAIN TOPIC : Macro Structures

Name : Myeong-Ju Shin

Date : March 16~17th , 2015

 I took a third "Invitation to Sociology" lecture when Monday and Tuesday of this week. Monday I learned several sociology theoretical perspectives : Functionalism, Conflict paradigm, Symbolic interactionism, Sociological dramaturgy and so on. I was interested about question of "Conflict paradigm". The question is "How does the power inequality influence your behavior in the classroom?". I think professor's told to students is so influence.
 For example, Teacher say "When you presentation, I give you extra credit." then students have to strive for extra credit. Or teacher say "When you sleep during class time, I subtract your points." then students strive keep themselves awake.
 And I am questioned "Do you agree compared to world average Korean people's feature?" and "Can we think of examples of cultures that were not tolerated in Korea in the past but became accepted in recent years?" when Tuesday's lecture.
 

Topic 1 : Do you agree compared to world average Korean people's feature?

              Korean people are not very religious.

                                      value hard work.

                                      value material.

                                      physical well being over more spiritual well being.

 I disagree that Korean people are not very religious. It is because our ancestors have believed that the shamanistic faith from long long ago. So, I think nowadays also Koreans have a religious belief and each of faith.
 But I agree that Korean people value hard work. Because Korean culture started from farming culture, seems to be working hard has been a virtue from previous. For this reason I also agree that Korean people value material. Material has been meant money and material's value also highly rate. So the idea make sense. But I disagree that Korean physical well being over more spiritual well being. This idea is relevant to really partial of Korean. Today, People think spiritual well being more important than physical well being.
 

Topic 2 : Can we think of examples of cultures that were not tolerated in Korea in the past but became accepted in recent years?

 First, In the Korea in the past not tolerated miniskirt but today accepted. Has been prohibited to wear a mini skirt that rises above the knee 15cm from February 1973. Police with carrying ruler, measure the women  revealed thigh. This provision faded away since December 31, 1988. But this case shown pretty well Korean society had any such recognition for that to expose the body of women.
 Second, In the Korea in the past not tolerated roam the middle of the night. Rule that prohibits the passage of public in time of night was when Joseon Dynasty and 1900s. This rule is made for protection of people by first time but more and more this rule arrest to people. Today, This rule disappear.  
 
 I was so interested several theoretical perspectives. I didn't know that very many things. My around is full of sociology perspectives. That is so surprise things. And lecture of values, beliefs and norms also funny. I knew the three words but I didn't know that far. Culture also come so fresh to me. So I look forward next lecture! :D!!

1 comment:

  1. I also disagree with Korean people are not very religious. Because I think Koreans have revered something like animal, nature since long time ago. But I disagree with your reason Korean people value hard work. You said Korean culture started from farming culture so it seems to be working hard has been a virtue from previous.
    I think hard work is the wrong result from social structure. In our social structure, We must hard work for survive. We should not take this wrong result for granted. I agree with your idea that Korean people value material. And I have a critical thinking about valuing material. Because Korea excessively value material things. So we should have critical thinking about that.

    ReplyDelete