Saturday, March 21, 2015

Symbol of our life. - Yeonju Heo (허연주)


In the last class, I focused and concentrated on particular word ‘symbol.’
We learned Symbolic interactionism in theoretical perspectives. And we learned symbol of our culture.
 
  
 
_ Symbolic interactionism
It is the theory that people share the meaning through interaction used symbol like language, behavior, expression etc. Meaning constituting a social reality is result of negotiation with each other rather than essential existence.
This theory concentrate on definition of situation rather than objective social conditions.
‘Definition of situation’ is collective agreement about situation in which interaction occurred and process of interpreting a person's subjective motive and meaning. The meaning of social behavior depends on ‘definition of situation.’
For example, when you see a student who look at eyes of teacher disciplining him, some people think the student is polite and others think he is impolite. This is because, ‘definition of situation’ is different. Sometimes it gives us fixed gender roles and prejudices because ‘definition of situation’ have a great influence on our behavior and thought.
 
 
 
 
 



_ Symbol
Symbol is component of culture. It is material of our surroundings. And it is also nonmaterial like belief, action, language etc.
Symbol is a means of complex communication. We understand occasion and seize context by symbols. For example, we see red sings then we stop or take warning. 
And emoticon also has symbolic meaning.
In online chatting, :P is tongue out, :) is smile, :( is sadness.
Sometimes symbol has higher value. In fact, the hat of Napoleon's symbol is sold $ 2,300,000 in auction. (Interesting point is that the final successful bidder is Korean.) 



 
 
 

_ I think....

There are many interesting topics in the class but I felt more interested in symbol.

Because In other class, I learned ‘The power of branding.’ In that lecture, the word ‘symbol’ appeared. Brands have logos, labels, marks as their symbol. Their symbol appeal their identity, direction, and others.



I think symbol is very important thing. Because we communicate and share meaning through symbol.

And I think person as well as material and nonmaterial thing can be symbol. For example, Marilyn Monroe is 1950’s sex symbol.
 
 

 
Could I be a symbol of something?
And Could you be a symbol of something? 





 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 





Click orange text, linked the Wilipedia.
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I think it is true that people can be a symbol of a specific thing. It could be a cool thing if it is a positive meaning. But if I think I would not like to be a symbol of something, if I can choose. It is because it would be hard to satisfy the expectation people are having on me about the symbol I would have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I partly agree in your opinion. It is difficult to satisfy people's expectation. I didn't think that point. Nevertheless, I want to be a symbol of something. To be a symbol of something is awesome in itself.

      Delete